Trans SafeSpace Network
A Transgender Info Hub A Transgender Safe Haven And A Transgender Support Community. A Transgender Pride Shop. #LiveColorfully At TSSN #WontBeErased #TransRightsAreHumanRights Welcome. Please Register And Enjoy!

Federal appeals court rules that Idaho must pay for transgender inmate's gender reassignment surgery [ID Governor fighting decision]

Currently Reading Article:
Federal appeals court rules that Idaho must pay for transgender inmate's gender reassignment surgery [ID Governor fighting decision] (1 Viewer)

Federal appeals court rules that Idaho must pay for transgender inmate's gender reassignment surgery [ID Governor fighting decision]

Adree Edmo is one step closer to becoming the first inmate to receive a gender confirmation surgery in Idaho as the result of a court order.

edmo_adree-jpg.582

The Idaho Department of Correction has appealed a U.S. District court's decision
that orders the state of Idaho to provide gender reassignment surgery to an inmate.
Adree Edmo was diagnosed with gender dysmorphia in 2012 and sued the state of
Idaho over access to surgery while in prison.
A federal appeals court has ruled that the state of Idaho must pay for a transgender inmate's sex reassignment surgery. The state says it will appeal the case to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Inmate Adree Edmo has been living as a woman for years, but has been housed in a men's prison, CBS Idaho affiliate KBOI-TV reports. Deborah Ferguson, an attorney representing Edmo, said in January that her client was at risk of self-harm if the surgery was postponed.

Edmo, 31, was diagnosed with gender dysmorphia in 2012. Ferguson argued that the state's refusal to provide the surgery was unconstitutional.

"They certainly would treat a prisoner with cancer, they treat a prisoner with diabetes, or other chronic conditions," Ferguson said, according to KBOI-TV. "So, we have a medically recognized condition that's very treatable and we have been trying to get her the treatment that she very much needs."

edmo_adree2-jpg.584

Adree Edmo was diagnosed with gender dysmorphia in 2012 and sued the
state of Idaho over access to surgery while in prison.
Earlier this year, the state of Idaho was put on a court-ordered deadline to pay for the surgery by mid-June. The state, however appealed that decision — a process it says has already cost more than $325,000.

On Friday, the court of appeals agreed with the federal judge that denying the surgery amounted to cruel and unusual punishment, a violation of the U.S. Constitution.

Idaho Governor Brad Little, however, said he intends to appeal the decision to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Idaho Gov. Brad Little said he intends to appeal the decision to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Here's the governor's full statement:

“The court’s decision is extremely disappointing. The hardworking taxpayers of Idaho should not be forced to pay for a convicted sex offender’s gender reassignment surgery when it is contrary to the medical opinions of the treating physician and multiple mental health professionals. I intend to appeal this decision to the U.S Supreme Court. We cannot divert critical public dollars away from the higher priorities of keeping the public safe and rehabilitating offenders.”

Edmo, a convicted sex offender who is expected to be released from prison in 2021, is not the only inmate in the state requesting surgery. Five other requests have been submitted since the beginning of 2019, according to the Idaho Department of Correction.

The Federal Appeals Court Ruling:
Oops! Your browser doesn't support PDF viewing!

MsJacquiiC

MsJacquiiC

TSSN Webmistress

Hmmm. I have mixed feelings about this one... Mainly negative feelings. And I know some will disagree. I hope not many anyway LOL...

While I do feel like insurance companies in general should be providing better access to transgender medical care, including surgery options - the prison system is a punitive one where once convicted - the prisoner basically forfeits certain privileges/rights allotted to citizens. One those privileges I would think is gender reassignment surgery. And this person (Adree Edmo) was convicted of a sexual crime as well... Not that that should matter in this instance though...

And while I absolutely hate to agree with any republican politician in the current political climate ... I think Gov. Little may have a case. His arguments that other issues should take priority - I disagree with, as transgender healthcare shouldn't take backseat priority to any other, an argument I'm sure Gov. Little makes based on anti-trans bias that's currently invading the GOP.

While the argument that prisoners are routinely treated for cancer and other medically recognized ailments is a valid one. I just don't think a convicted felon currently serving time should be receiving GRS on the tax payers dime. If like the governor says that money should be spent on rehabilitating inmates -- which I seriously doubt; I'm a believer that such institutions are not about the business of rehabilitation, but more accurately: temporary housing for criminals -- then spend the money on rehabilitating and making it so that inmates can leave the prison environment and become contributing citizens of our society!

All that said - The fact that a sitting federal court of appeals judge would side with a transgender person does give me hope though!

What do you all think?

J.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)